Family Planning & Maternity
Our doctors - female and male - are family-planning trained, as are our Nurses. We respect confidentiality and tailor the method to meet your individual needs.
Most routine contraceptive care can be provided for in the Nurses or the doctors appointment system. The guide below will help you choose the suitable professional and the appropriate appointment:
The Doctor (routine appointment)
- A definite desire to use a hormonal contraceptive for the first time.
- Minor problems with a prescribed pill; query a pill change needed.
- A consultation to decide on change of method i.e. an injection, a progesterone pill, Coil (IUCD) etc.
- Emergency contraception
- A general chat about contraception for background information book an appointment with the Practice Nurse for 20-minutes.
- A routine pill check and prescription i.e. no problems. Book an appointment with the Practice Nurse for 10 minutes.
- Emergency Contraception (the morning after pill).
- Advice re barrier methods - cap/condoms.
The Family Planning Clinic
Where the doctor and Nurse work together for:
- A Coil (IUCD) fit
- An Implanon insertion
We appreciate your special needs at this challenging time of life. Conversations and decisions are CONFIDENTIAL. Please discuss your needs with the doctor or Nurse as you feel able. Remember we have female doctors available.
Sometimes couples risk pregnancy without adequate precautions. Remember that we can offer you Emergency Contraception after exposure for up to 72 hours after the event and sometimes even longer if using the Coil (IUCD). Please seek advice from the doctor or Nurse as soon as possible.
Unfortunately sometimes pregnancy occurs under less than perfect circumstances. Please discuss your situation with us in strictest confidence as soon as you realise you are pregnant.
Alternative sources of information include:
BPAS and Family Planning Clinic. Telephone numbers are in the Yellow Pages.
Pregnancy & Maternity Care
You can self refer to the Midwifery Team when you become aware that you are pregnant. We have Midwives who hold clinics at Talbot Medical Centre and Northbourne Surgery on a weekly basis.
Remember that the Department of Health recommends that you supplement your diet with folic acid tablets - please seek the Chemists advice - PRIOR TO CONCEPTION AND WHILST TRYING. We also have a pre-conception protocol.